Perched on Magashi Peninsula, Magashi Camp looks out over scenic Lake Rwanyakazinga towards the Mutumba Mountains in the west. On the peninsula’s western side, waterbuck, impala and warthog can often be seen grazing, while on the eastern flank, eland frequent the lakeshore. The shore itself offers views of hippo, large crocodiles and a chance of elephant bulls, while the core of the Amahoro lion pride is encapsulated by this spit of land.
Magashi has been established in partnership with the Rwanda Development Board (RDB) and African Parks, demonstrating our commitment to pioneering sustainable and authentic ecotourism in Rwanda. The core purpose here is to help conserve Rwanda’s last protected savannah ecosystem, and species like black rhino and the rare and elusive shoebill; furthermore, our presence in Akagera National Park will contribute towards enabling it to become economically self-sufficient for the first time.
- Ideal opportunity to combine an extraordinary gorilla experience while at Bisate Lodge with a spectacular savannah safari at Magashi Camp
- View East African bird- and wildlife specials from expertly-guided game drives, guided nature walks and boating trips
- Citizen Scientist (guests are encouraged to join us in our purpose by becoming ‘Citizen Scientists’ – participating in predator identikits and movement studies)
Six spacious and airy tented guest rooms offer uninterrupted views over Lake Rwanyakazinga while Magashi’s main area comprises a luxurious lounge and dining area, bar and pool, as well as an expansive viewing deck with convivial fire pit. The architecture and interiors pay homage to traditional Rwandan culture.
- Canvas tented accommodation on an elevated deck with elevated wooden walk ways connecting tents to the main areas
- Each tent comprises en-suite facilities with an indoor shower, single vanity basin and separate toilet.
- Wardrobe, luggage rack, writing desk and chair, hat and coat stand, easy chairs, seating area, mosquito net, electronic safe, tea and coffee making facilities, multi-plug adaptor charging facilities for mobile devices, mini-bar and outside deck with seating area.
- There is no air-conditioning, however, a pedestal fan in each tent. • Two way emergency radios have been fitted in the tents and may be used by guests to contact camp management in the event of an emergency only. Said radios are on a closed circuit and inter-tent communication is not available.
- Amenities include; bathrobes, slippers, liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, body lotion, insect repellent, shower caps, vanity kit with cotton tipped swabs and cotton balls, tissue dispenser, washing powder (for smalls), umbrella and room spray.
Landi Burns started selling travel in 2019, after managing exclusive luxury lodges and resorts across the globe. She specializes in East and Southern Africa beach & safari destinations.